Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryzen 3000

Diamond Member

Re: Ryzen 3000

And that will tell me which DIMMs to buy? I'm confused.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

no Z,
    each set of memory comes with XMP profile right? The tool (thaiphoon) reads that profile and give you information about it. Like timing, voltages, vendor's name, type.
    you take those info and plug them in the Ryzen calculator, then choose calculate FAST. It'll suggest a new set of timing (tighter).

For example: I have a set of 3200mhz Corsair LPX in my machine. Beside that I don't know anything else about it
    Ran Thaiphoon: It will then spits out some info like they're 1 rank modules from Hynix , and they're not B-die. 16-18-18-48 at 1.35v
    I then run the Ryzen Calculator: it will ask for those info
    Plug those info in and choose calculate Fast.
    Ryzen calculator gave me a new set of timing: says 14-17-19-26 at 1.39v and a bunch more of sub timings.
    Copy that and go to the Bios and manually enter those values.

Sorry for the confusion! My english is aready bad enough, my explanation is even worse lolol
    Last edited by VietOZ; 11-26-19 at 10:53 AM.

Diamond Member

Got it. Thanks!

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Got it. Thanks!
    Like VO said,avoid MSI. Many BIOS issues and patches seem to lag behind others. Gigabyte Aorus (any model tier) is the way to go this gen, going by teardowns and build quality analysis. The Asrock Taichi would be my 2nd choice. Definitely 4x DIMMs but not Corsair. You want Samsung B-die so go with G.Skill. Also like VO said, there's no reason to buy any kit over 3600Mhz. You can OC to hit 3733 if you just really had to Personally I'd look for a 3200Mhz kit @1.35v or less and OC that.

Aorus also has a 5GB/s m.2 but I'd wait if you can. Faster ones are coming.

Edit: G.Skill has announced kits up to 256GB but they're not released yet. Should be very soon.
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 11-26-19 at 11:19 PM.

Silver Member

@John what about those Crucial E die kits? Do you have any info about them? I heard a lot of good things about them but I haven't pull the trigger yet

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VietOZ View Post
    @John what about those Crucial E die kits? Do you have any info about them? I heard a lot of good things about them but I haven't pull the trigger yet
    They can clock higher than Samsung but no one needs 6600Mhz+ RAM lol. I remember when they set that record and a few of us were studying their settings and it turned out to not even be useable. But they broke the record I guess. Samsung also can have better timings out of the box. But overall it's not bad, especially if the price is right. Too bad they don't make 32GB modules.

I remember there was some LPDDR3 Crucial Ballistix that I really liked. That stuff ran circles around everyone else for awhile until G.Skill started getting just as good or better.

I have Crucial in my Xeon Rig. If TR supports ECC LRDIMMs, maybe Z could get 8x16GB of those without a speed loss. Dunno what speeds they come in these days though.

Silver Member

If TR supports ECC LRDIMMs, maybe Z could get 8x16GB of those without a speed loss. Dunno what speeds they come in these days though.
    I believe it's 2666mhz, but they'll cost arms and legs though

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Edit: G.Skill has announced kits up to 256GB but they're not released yet. Should be very soon.
    Ah. I was wondering how to get 4x32gb, and at 3200 or 3600. I can't find anything at the moment. Looks like there are several items I need to wait for. Maybe by Christmas!

Silver Member

So I played around with my 3900X and Ryzen Dram Calculator last night.
    Rig setup:
    CPU: 3900X
    Dram: Flare X 3200mhz, Samsung b-die Timing 14-14-14-34 1.35v
    Mobo: Asus B450 Prime-Plus

Settings:
    CPU: 4.1ghz static/manual 1.25v vcore. All AMD auto overclock turned off. PBO/XFR etc etc (i couldn't keep up with all the things they're calling)
    Dram: load XMP for first run / Ryzen Dram Calculator settings for 2nd run.

Software: Cinebench R20. Just to get an idea, not an extensive test like reviewers do.

XMP profile run: score = 7131
    Ryzen Dram Calculator run: score = 7349

pretty good improvement with just sub timings tightened down.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Ah. I was wondering how to get 4x32gb, and at 3200 or 3600. I can't find anything at the moment. Looks like there are several items I need to wait for. Maybe by Christmas!
    Hopefully before xmas. They were announced a few weeks ago already

Lemme see if i can find an official link.

Here: https://www.gskill.com/community/150...ts-Up-to-256GB

This does pose the question though...32GB modules do take a timing hit. I wonder if 8x16 with better timings vs. 4x32 would negate the 2 DPC penalty. I'm thinking it would.

Do whatever you want Z

@VO: Nice improvement there. And the best part is it was free!

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast