Thread: Experiences with GPU warranty?

Past Administrator

Experiences with GPU warranty?

Just wondering on the general consensus here if I should waste my time trying to warranty these GPUs? Both the ASUS and the Gigabyte cards that are acting up appear to have 3 year warranties. I have had them less than 1 year. Has anyone here had good luck with trying to get warranty replacement on a GPU they've crunched with?
    Trying to decide if it's worth the hassle of digging up receipts and mailing the cards in, etc. It probably is, but I wanted to see what the team's experience has been in this.
    Thanks.

Administrator

Re: Experiences with GPU warranty?

I have sent all my ATIs (6) back for repair at one time or another. Usually the fans are shot. All cards are XFX and they have been great!

Past Administrator

OK...this is giving me hope. I will submit the ASUS card RMA tonight, as it's completely dead. The Gigabyte one I'm sure will have to go through some kind of "process" before they let me RMA it, but it won't play a video DVD to save its life, not even a simple flash video. I've tried multiple driver versions, and on two different computers. It simply just hard crashes to a blue screen and reboots the rig. I'll see what they say on it. Here's to hoping for some loving from them!

Silver Member

DrPop,

I can tell you only one thing. EVGA is a no-brainer when it comes to warranty. I will never buy any hardware that costs more than $150 if it doesn't come from EVGA. This statement is limited to MBs and GPUs. As far a PSUs goes, I always buy Ultra and make sure it comes with a great warranty.
    EVGA will treat you right every time, BUT, you DO have to go by their rules!

I'm sorry to hear that you're having troubles with some of your hardware. I hope you can get it resolved. I've heard rumors about Asus not providing "willing" support, but if you take it up the ladder, they supposedly will help you. Giga, on the other hand, I've heard is basically useless when it come to anything, "after sale".

Be prepared to be very instant about it and make demands especially if you have proof of purchase and so forth.

I would recommend you go to the evga site and look at how they do things there. They truly are the very best at customer care so long as you buy right and register your product within the time frame they state.

And, what I mean by, buy right, is that you look closely at the model numbers of the product you intend to buy and compare it to the warranty listings they offer. Some are 1 year, some are 3 years, some are lifetime...The model number will tell you what warranty you get with the product and is depicted by a, "-xx" at the end of the model number. Where xx can be a variety of letters.

For instance, they will have a lifetime warranty on any product they sell that ends with, "-AR" (and some others) , but a 3 year warranty with the VERY SAME product that ends with model number, "-KR".

I swear by these guys because they have ALWAYS done me right in the past and are very easy to work with to get you a replacement RMA and FAST!
    Yo-

Gold Member

I did RMA's of my 9600 GSO and my 9800 GTX plus a motherboard with XFX and did not have any problems. The only thing they required was that the part had been registered and you started the process with an online support ticket. After that you can call them and they took care of the problems. I currently have gone to Evga GPU's but have not had any problems so far.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Past Admin

hi Jed, Im in the process of an RMA with ASUS right now for my 4870. The same one I posted about back in April of this year. They have sent me two 4870's that had bad ram. I'm send back the 2nd one now. I hope your exp. is better than my has been but I can tell you now that I'll never purchase another ASUS GPU again. One other thing of note, I purchesed two ASUS 460. Both burned out and I returned them for an EVGA 570. Have not had a bad day yet with EVGA

Past Administrator

OK, some good news on this. First, ASUS has issued me an RMA # for the GTX 460, and I'm shipping it off Monday. We'll see if they'll replace it, and whatever the outcome, I'll report back here.

Next line of good news - the Gigabyte HD 5870 (that was an expensive card when it came out, the one with eyefinity) is apparently alright after all. Turns out there was a BIOS update for that specific card, actually 2 updates. One for Samsung RAM boards, and another for boards made with Hynix RAM. Guess what the BIOS update was addressing? VIDEO PLAYBACK. Yep. Looks to have fixed it so far. I'm torture testing it right now; ripped the other GPU out of the rig, so only that one in there, and running Collatz full bore, + a Netflix streaming video, + a website with a looping flash video at the same time. Afterburner shows the GPU usage pegged @ 99% the last 1/2 hour, and Temp is 74C.

@ JPM - yes, I have to admit it looks like the Gigabyte was a good product, and just needed an update. Time will tell if that's all it is, but I'm hoping!

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    OK, some good news on this. First, ASUS has issued me an RMA # for the GTX 460, and I'm shipping it off Monday. We'll see if they'll replace it, and whatever the outcome, I'll report back here.

Next line of good news - the Gigabyte HD 5870 (that was an expensive card when it came out, the one with eyefinity) is apparently alright after all. Turns out there was a BIOS update for that specific card, actually 2 updates. One for Samsung RAM boards, and another for boards made with Hynix RAM. Guess what the BIOS update was addressing? VIDEO PLAYBACK. Yep. Looks to have fixed it so far. I'm torture testing it right now; ripped the other GPU out of the rig, so only that one in there, and running Collatz full bore, + a Netflix streaming video, + a website with a looping flash video at the same time. Afterburner shows the GPU usage pegged @ 99% the last 1/2 hour, and Temp is 74C.

@ JPM - yes, I have to admit it looks like the Gigabyte was a good product, and just needed an update. Time will tell if that's all it is, but I'm hoping!
    Yipeeeeeeee!

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Good to hear thing are looking upwards!
    Yo-