Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia GTX 680

Platinum Member

Re: Nvidia GTX 680

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    And what kind of premium should one expect for the "godly" edition?
    Unknown. But we definitely need to add it to the list of stuff available within the next 3 weeks that DrPop is looking for

EDIT: You know, at that speed, this GTX680 *might* just equal the double precision power of the GTX 580
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 03-24-12 at 01:37 AM.

Past Administrator

So this thing sucks wind at PG AND DiRT? Who would've thought? Combine this NVIDIA nuthouse with all the crap my bro's rig is doing on me right now, and man, my head hurts.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    So this thing sucks wind at PG AND DiRT? Who would've thought? Combine this NVIDIA nuthouse with all the crap my bro's rig is doing on me right now, and man, my head hurts.
    You forgot it sucks at milkyway too. Oh but there's more good news, for the guys over at Folding@Home it doesn't work at all. And even more good news (you're gonna throw in the towel on this one) it appears that when Nvidia sent all the review sites sample GTX 680s and drivers, the drivers were better for the reviews, than what was actually released to the general public. Specifically, even on a brand new X79 motherboard with a brand new SB-E CPU full of PCIe 3.0 slots, the GTX 680 will only run at PCIe 2.0 speeds. I think now we can call it a day

Quote Originally Posted by Nvidia
    GeForce GTX 680 supports PCI Express 3.0. The Intel X79/SNB-E PCI Express 2.0 platform is only currently supported up to 5GT/s (PCIE 2.0) bus speeds even though some motherboard manufacturers have enabled higher 8GT/s speeds.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    You forgot it sucks at milkyway too. Oh but there's more good news, for the guys over at Folding@Home it doesn't work at all. And even more good news (you're gonna throw in the towel on this one) it appears that when Nvidia sent all the review sites sample GTX 680s and drivers, the drivers were better for the reviews, than what was actually released to the general public. Specifically, even on a brand new X79 motherboard with a brand new SB-E CPU full of PCIe 3.0 slots, the GTX 680 will only run at PCIe 2.0 speeds. I think now we can call it a day

Quote Originally Posted by Nvidia
    GeForce GTX 680 supports PCI Express 3.0. The Intel X79/SNB-E PCI Express 2.0 platform is only currently supported up to 5GT/s (PCIE 2.0) bus speeds even though some motherboard manufacturers have enabled higher 8GT/s speeds.
    Holy F'n Toledo! I said it before and I'll say it now. nVidia is the biggest tech scam artist on the planet......

FYI tangent: The reason I write nVidia the way I do is that I have never had any respect for that company. Its the way they used to present their name back in the day. They switched up to the capital N to make themselves more presentable to the "Adult" market. phhht. They are full of themselves..... and it.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Admin

The last chance for the 680 will be with the Bitcoin miners. I wonder how it does mining? If it's as bad at that as it is with crunching then they've limited themselves to gamers only.

I still believe that more Crunchers and Miners bought HD5970's than gamers. You can prob. add the 5870 as well.

Past Administrator

What I want to know now - maybe JPM or F$ or Zombie or somebody else knows - is this stupid limitation on crunching a software limitation? Like a BIOS/firmware or driver issue that could be altered or remedied is some way? Or is it a hardware limitation where nVidia somehow screw with the chip just to make sure that crunching with the card is impossible.

The whole thing just stinks. It's one thing not to have the technology period. It's another thing for that technology to be "present" but out of reach financially to all but giant corporations or Gov entities such as NASA. It is quite another thing altogether for the technology to be present, and financially accessible...and then denied the consumer because of stupidity and uber greed on the part of the corporation who makes it. I'm not against them making a profit. I am against them scalping me because I want to use the CUDA portion of their technology whch EVERY ad of theirs boasts about.

I think my next GPU may have to be an AMD just for the principle of it. Is the 7970 turning out to be that hot of a card on Moo! or Donate or whatever the hot AMD/ATI project flavor of the month is?

Platinum Member

In the 680, it's a physical reduction of FP64 cores, which are then additionally crippled. Nothing can be done.

In the 400 series and 500 series i never found out how it's done for sure, but i DO know it isn't done through BIOS. So hacking that won't help at all.

It's possible it's done in the drivers. If that's true, the last driver release that wouldn't've been crippled would've been during the reign of the 200 series, however, conveniently enough, those drivers won't allow a 400 or 500 series card to work at all.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    In the 680, it's a physical reduction of FP64 cores...

In the 400 series and 500 series ... it isn't done through BIOS...

...the last driver release that wouldn't've been crippled [is] the 200 series, however, conveniently enough, those drivers won't allow a 400 or 500 series card to work at all.

Dude, you are the man with the info! Unfortunately it is not real positive info, but it is the truth none the less. OK, well that means for high end crunching I need a high end AMD card next I suppose. We'll see what I can come up with...maybe nothing, we'll see. This whole thing still blows in my mind. They get us sooooooo excited. For...NOTHING.

Silver Member

Yeah that how im taking it also .. Im assuming the worse, they didnt want the 680 to compete with the quadro whatever its called. Either that or it was a way to reduce transistor count on the chip making it cheaper to produce and yet still do extremly well in games. We can hope they release something better later on but im guessing at this point. The good thing is this will force AMD to lower the price and soon. So be patient it will happen and you will be able to save 100$ on the 7970 if you can wait..

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by James Wang - Nvidia Technical Marketing Analyst - now Editor-in-Chief at GeForce.com
    Yes, full-speed double precision performance is a feature we reserve for our professional customers. Consumer applications have little use for double precision, so this does not really affect GeForce users.
    !! <---That was so i could meet the 2 character minimum message limit. Quotes don't count. Grrrrr

EDIT: actually i would like to add a few more characters. How do such incompetent f__kwits, people so GD retarded they think cheerios are donut seeds, get the jobs they get while people like me sit here counting the number of empty Dr. Pepper cans on my desk? Makes me want to pull (the rest of) my hair out! [/rant]
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 03-26-12 at 12:08 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast