Thread: Higher CPU Usage

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

Re: Higher CPU Usage

Quote Originally Posted by coronicus View Post
    I think the issue you will run into is the gpu wont be getting max credit in this format but if you are wanting more out of the cpu specially during challenges that is one option to use.. Personally for me i swap over to moo on the AMD cause of the low cpu usage and still get decent gpu credits without loosing to much CPU or doing anything to the config file but i still havent made the move to 7.0xx, not sure which project will lead to less cpu usage on the nvidia side.
    You were right on that one. I tried a few Donate wus and with the ncpus set to 7 (100% cpu load) the gpus were starved and the Donate's took 2300 sec to complete. I dropped the ncpus back to 6, essentially freeing up a core and the Donate's came in at 1100 to 1200 sec. This is about the same time it took when Donate was taking all 4 cores, so I think I've found a sweet spot for my system. Later today I'll try some MWay wus because I have a much better sense of what my gpus were capable of prior to the increased cpu usage. I'll let you know how that goes.

Edit: Seeing the same with MWay. GPU times about the same as prior, but know I have 3 cores to do cpu projects. I'm happy now!
    Last edited by Al; 04-16-12 at 12:39 PM.