Thread: Sargies Tower upgrade

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Silver Member

Re: Sargies Tower upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Noooooooo! CL11 is too high These Crucial modules would be optimal. CL8. Much faster.
    Thanks for the info, I was wondering if there would be a bottle neck with such a high latency on the ram. Will look into getting something with a lower latency. My next question would be would it be more efficient to have two 8gig chips or do the four 2 gig chips at the same speed. I'm pretty sure nothing the computer would be doing would be able to take advantage of anything over 16gigs but I'm pretty sure the board supports up to 32gigs if it comes to it.
    Last edited by Sarge104; 06-22-13 at 04:45 PM. Reason: correction on terminology
    It's not the love of a hero, that's why I fear it won't do
    Chad Kroeger

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge104 View Post
    Thanks for the info, I was wondering if there would be a bottle neck with such a high latency on the ram. Will look into getting something with a lower latency. My next question would be would it be more efficient to have two 8gig chips or do the four 2 gig chips at the same speed. I'm pretty sure nothing the computer would be doing would be able to take advantage of anything over 16gigs but I'm pretty sure the board supports up to 32gigs if it comes to it.
    Since the FX-8350 supports 2 memory channels, 2 x 8GB is more efficient and more stable when overclocked. Also makes the CPU more stable when highly overclocked. Also, fewer modules = less power usage.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Since the FX-8350 supports 2 memory channels, 2 x 8GB is more efficient and more stable when overclocked. Also makes the CPU more stable when highly overclocked. Also, fewer modules = less power usage.
    Appreciate the info, I must've been going through a brain fart when I wrote out the 4x2gig...meant 4x4gig to achieve the 16 gig output.
    Chad Kroeger

Past Administrator

Sarge,

Have you actually placed your order yet?

Although it would a sizable increase in outlay of cash, the following would have better long term value.

Instead of the air cooled Titan go with EVGA's Hydro Cooper Titan (Link)

And add the Swiftech H220 cooler I mentioned before. That combination would help extend the life of the CPU and GPU. And the H220 is much less expensive then piecing together a liquid cooling solution from any of the manufacturers out there including Swiftech.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Sarge,

Have you actually placed your order yet?

Although it would a sizable increase in outlay of cash, the following would have better long term value.

Instead of the air cooled Titan go with EVGA's Hydro Cooper Titan (Link)

And add the Swiftech H220 cooler I mentioned before. That combination would help extend the life of the CPU and GPU. And the H220 is much less expensive then piecing together a liquid cooling solution from any of the manufacturers out there including Swiftech.
    We were of the same mind, I'm looking into getting both but the issue is becoming availability and shipping. Right now I'm having trouble even getting access to that Swiftech cooler but I've not given up hope and I'm dealing with my local computer supply for info if they can get me that evga titan card.

From what I'm reading with the Titan though the watercooling will be marginal help with overclocking since it is primarly a voltage issue with trying to supply that beast with enough juice.
    Chad Kroeger

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge104 View Post
    We were of the same mind, I'm looking into getting both but the issue is becoming availability and shipping. Right now I'm having trouble even getting access to that Swiftech cooler but I've not given up hope and I'm dealing with my local computer supply for info if they can get me that evga titan card.

From what I'm reading with the Titan though the watercooling will be marginal help with overclocking since it is primarly a voltage issue with trying to supply that beast with enough juice.
    Roger that Sarge.

Btw, I can make you a similar offer I've made to other teammates (As in ZERO middleman charges!!!). The MicroCenter store near me has the Swiftech H220 in stock atm. If your connection cannot acquire it, I'd be happy to pick one up for you. MC's price is $139.99 + 6% Sale tax. Shipping weight is under 6 lbs so USPS fees including insurance from my house to Billings MT (Just picked largest city) would be $19.98. If this is a reasonable solution for you then PM me at your earliest convenience. Just realize there is no guarantee the unit will stay in stock for any length of time.

I did check my MC store for the Hydro Copper Titan but no go. I did discover however that EVGA does sell the Titan waterblock separately and is in stock on their website for $149.99 $169.99 + shipping. I also found a review of some of the aftermarket waterblocks for any EVGA Titan (I presume the aircooled & Hydro Copper versions use the same circuit board layout). The review is a work in progress. Summarized blog (Here) - Full review (Here)
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 06-24-13 at 07:50 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Roger that Sarge.

Btw, I can make you a similar offer I've made to other teammates (As in ZERO middleman charges!!!). The MicroCenter store near me has the Swiftech H220 in stock atm. If your connection cannot acquire it, I'd be happy to pick one up for you. MC's price is $139.99 + 6% Sale tax. Shipping weight is under 6 lbs so USPS fees including insurance from my house to Billings MT (Just picked largest city) would be $19.98. If this is a reasonable solution for you then PM me at your earliest convenience. Just realize there is no guarantee the unit will stay in stock for any length of time.

I did check my MC store for the Hydro Copper Titan but no go. I did discover however that EVGA does sell the Titan waterblock separately and is in stock on their website for $149.99 $169.99 + shipping. I also found a review of some of the aftermarket waterblocks for any EVGA Titan (I presume the aircooled & Hydro Copper versions use the same circuit board layout). The review is a work in progress. Summarized blog (Here) - Full review (Here)

Just got off the phone with the LCS and I'm almost to the order point with everything. Currently sitting pretty with motherboard, chip, water cooler (they did have the H220 , making sure the ram and card are available now. I'm going to have to stay with the fan cooled card for a bit but I believe with my case cooling it should be sufficient till the cards warranty runs out and I can break it open and put a water casing on it....So close, getting the gitters!
    Chad Kroeger