Thread: Collatz: Phasing out Multi-Size

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Silver Member

Re: Collatz: Phasing out Multi-Size

The solo tasks seem to be working for me. I almost can't wait for the ton of solo tasks to run out just to give the large another try. In so many ways, I think Boinc 7.2.42 is to blame for some of it. It seems to be a little laggy when it comes to changes on the fly. On my core 2 quad with an nvidia 9500gt, docking is still having issues and I lost a day due to it. I can also suspend a task and for about 10 seconds, despite showing that the task is suspended, the timer and % is still ticking away. So far I haven't touched it as far as Collatz is concerned. On my core I7 with the HD 5770, the time between me making changes to the app_config to try to get things working like they should, it seems to be taking close to a minute. (I have been changing the cpu thread count to see if I'm running 8 cpu tasks or 7cpu tasks after each change.) I would love to know if what I have for the app_config is correct or not. (kinda why I want another large file to come my way.) I tried a few different arrangements in the file and when the large was configured and working with the correct cpu usage.....then errored out, the solo loaded up and ran at the default settings. After making more changes in an attempt to "fix" it, it took a while for me know if the changes worked or not. Now, the solo seems to be working right. This is what I have the app_config as of currently. (well.....I actually have the cpu running at 0.98 instead of at 1.0. But I'm sure you get the idea with this.)

<app_config>
    <app>
    <name>solo_collatz</name>
    <max_concurrent>1</max_concurrent>
    <gpu_versions>
    <gpu_usage>1.0</gpu_usage>
    <cpu_usage>1.0</cpu_usage>
    </gpu_versions>
    </app>
    <app>
    <name>large_collatz</name>
    <gpu_versions>
    </gpu_versions>
    </app>
    </app_config>

Z-TAC

Quote Originally Posted by Shandia View Post

<app_config>
    <app>
    <name>solo_collatz</name>
    <gpu_versions>
    </gpu_versions>
    </app>
    <app>
    <name>large_collatz</name>
    <gpu_versions>
    </gpu_versions>
    </app>
    </app_config>
    Isn't that just the default setting for the project without an app_config file?

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Z-TAC View Post
    Isn't that just the default setting for the project without an app_config file?
    Not exactly. It is close. The default is to run 0.903 of a cpu thread...or at least that what it was showing me on my tasks that were running without any changes. I tend to try and micro-manage my tasks to do things exactly how I want it. If one can find some slight variance to improve their performance, I say go with it! I often will extend the number of threads far more than the default if I can get a better return. (I've actually run some gpu tasks using all 8 cpu threads on some projects including Collatz.) But if it wants to read as default instead of what I want it to use, it's pretty much useless to have.