Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Collatz is BSODing my computer

Past Administrator

Re: Collatz is BSODing my computer

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Ok. So did the whole "Restore Defaults" thing like Harley suggested, and checked Afterburner, and everything appeared to be at stock, including voltages. I tried the "test custom clocks" with settings at stock settings after restoring defaults, and it failed (it shouldn't). Then I decided to go a little loco...

I backed the memory clock down to 500, and the GPU clock down to 575 in CCC. This is from stock settings of 1000 and 725, respectively. Tested these custom clocks, and it passed. Put them on MW for about 45min, then emptied the cache. All went well.

Uninstalled the driver, swept, reinstalled the driver, to see if that changed something internal to the card. It didn't because when I tried the "test custom clocks" thing again with default settings, it failed again.

I'm now uninstalling completely again, and I'm going to switch the location of the two cards, and see if that can get something going...
    Maxwell, hold your horses please. Something is really wrong here. Like it takes a rocket scientist to figure that out...... Where is Dr.Von Braun when you need him?

I strongly suggest you do the HDD swap with a fresh install of Win7. Remember you do not need to activate it for 30 days.

Damn, new thought leads to new question: Did you just recently install any new M$ updates? I just remembered SP1 for Win7 came out like 2 or 3 days ago. This could be your culprit. So do the HDD swap but do NOT update. Install CCC 10.10 without APP, just to see what happens. Install BOINC and crunch. You can use the BlackOps group account so it won't mess with your CPID. I will add Collatz, MW & DNETC to it.

If it works then you can install all the M$ updates dated before the first of the year and crunch some more. Then update CCC to 11.0 and test again. You need to find the point of failure. Just keep adding sets of updates until it BSODs. This will give you a target.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

I don't have a spare drive. Frankly, since I've screwed with this Windows install enough, I'm just formatting the disk and starting over. I have backed up what I need, so I'll go from there...

Platinum Member

So after reinstalling Winders, I ran some Collatz WUs (which would only run after downclocking my systems to GPU = 575, Mem = 500, at least as they are displayed in CCC). They completed, but then my computer went into fits and the driver crashed again. Something is clearly wrong here...

Past Administrator

So after reinstalling Winders, I ran some Collatz WUs (which would only run after downclocking my systems to GPU = 575, Mem = 500, at least as they are displayed in CCC). They completed, but then my computer went into fits and the driver crashed again. Something is clearly wrong here...
    Questions...

What were the CPU and GPUs temps just before the fits started?

When was the last time you cleared the dust buildup in the GPUs?

You have that Corsair H50 CPU Cooler. Have you checked the radiator for over zealous dust bunny, Tribble wonnabes?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Temps are fine. Low 60s on the GPU (at worst), and low 40s on the CPU.

Blew the dust out the when this started happening, so two days ago.

I'm running this machine on air - the H50 is in another machine. Blew the dust out of this cooler a couple days ago, too...

Diamond Member

Load means two things. Heat and power consumption. Maybe it's not heat. Maybe it's the PSU.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Temps are fine. Low 60s on the GPU (at worst), and low 40s on the CPU.

Blew the dust out the when this started happening, so two days ago.

I'm running this machine on air - the H50 is in another machine. Blew the dust out of this cooler a couple days ago, too...
    Yeah, I was pretty sure you had but it crossed my mind so I threw it out there. No insult intended.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

So far, I have punched 7 babies, and uppercutted 3 toddlers. In my head, at least...

Harley was able to duplicate the problem on his machine, then solve it, then pass along the procedure for how to fix it to me. This, of course, makes him a badass and earns him my eternal gratitude.

Long story short: DNETC forced the clocks too high. When you move to another project, the card is then clocked too high, and is a pain to reset and get working again. One key symptom: BOINC has the card rated about 35% higher than it should be based on stock clocks. I followed Harley's procedure, fixed the overclocking issue, and got my machine to the same status Harley's was at when it started working again. But as soon as I tried to run a Collatz WU, I BSOD'd.

Next, I pulled out an old 9500GT card I had sitting here. Pulled the 5970s out of the machine. Installed the 9500GT. Apparently, my monitor is too good for the card, as it kept crashing the driver. I plugged an old CRT monitor into the card. It seems to work (after, of course, reinstalling the driver). However, it does not seem to be working perfectly.

I have this weird blinking on my display. It looks like the driver is starting to crap out on me. The card is actually completing DistRTgen WUs successfully, so it seems the card is working and the driver is at least functional.

Now - I'm pretty sure the cards are ok. I'm certain it is not a Winders issue, since I have reinstalled Winders. My current working hypothesis (for whatever good that is right now) is that two things went wrong at the same time. DNETC screwed up the clocks hardcore (which Harley has helped me fix). This, in turn, caused some hardware issue. I'm guessing either PSU or MoBo.

Is there any way to test these without spending money (I was blindsided by about $1000 in car maintenance yesterday), keeping in mind I don't really have any alternate systems to play with?

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    I am not a computer guru in any manner but I did have a case of the BSOD's awhile back and it ended up being my memory. I just laxed my timings a little and it solved my problems. Good luck.
    So this is the one thing I haven't tried...

I have done just about everything else suggested in this thread, save for swapping out hardware/trying things in a new system (both of which aren't possible for me).

After running through y'all's suggestions and a crapton of googling the symptoms, I've seen quite a few mentions of it potentially being a RAM issue. I have run Win7's Memtest, and it showed that everything was fine. However, I did find several folks online who noted it really was a RAM problem, even though the RAM passed the Memtest. They solved the issue by doing what joker did - lax the timings.

So how do I do that?

Harley

So this is the one thing I haven't tried...

I have done just about everything else suggested in this thread, save for swapping out hardware/trying things in a new system (both of which aren't possible for me).

After running through y'all's suggestions and a crapton of googling the symptoms, I've seen quite a few mentions of it potentially being a RAM issue. I have run Win7's Memtest, and it showed that everything was fine. However, I did find several folks online who noted it really was a RAM problem, even though the RAM passed the Memtest. They solved the issue by doing what joker did - lax the timings.

So how do I do that?
    Its done through the MB BIOS setup.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast