Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: World Community Grid: OpenPandemics - COVID-19 Now Running on Machines with Graphics

Diamond Member

World Community Grid: OpenPandemics - COVID-19 Now Running on Machines with Graphics

The software that powers OpenPandemics - COVID-19 has been adapted to use GPU power. This will not only help the researchers to screen more molecules, but also could help them study molecules that are more complex.

More...

Silver Member

Re: World Community Grid: OpenPandemics - COVID-19 Now Running on Machines with Graph

OpenPandemics - COVID-19 - GPU is showing up as non-beta now.

Diamond Member

Re: World Community Grid: OpenPandemics - COVID-19 Now Running on Machines with Graph

Work availability will be limited
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

Forum mod said
    "Good afternoon,

The new GPU application for OpenPandemics will be sending out 1700 work units on average every 30 minutes.

Thanks,
    -Uplinger"

Silver Member

"4/6/2021 9:42:19 PM | World Community Grid | Tasks for Intel GPU are available, but your preferences are set to not accept them"

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MindCrime View Post
    Forum mod said
    "Good afternoon,

The new GPU application for OpenPandemics will be sending out 1700 work units on average every 30 minutes.

Thanks,
    -Uplinger"
    With the pent up demand for another gpu app, especially one that pays as well as this one does, those 3400/hour don't last long. I rarely have more than 2 or 3 of my gpus working. Presently I have only 50 wus across 2-NV and one Intel gpu.

Edit: And it comes with a new wuprop app.
    Last edited by Al; 04-07-21 at 07:58 AM.

Diamond Member

Note: They added a project preference setting to allow GPU crunching. You have to go into your account and turn that on.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Note: They added a project preference setting to allow GPU crunching. You have to go into your account and turn that on.
    the option is in your device settings, and remember you can have more than one profile so make sure they all have it, if you have more than one. this link should take you there if you're logged in.

https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/m...o?name=Default scroll to the GPU section.

question is can i set up an app_info for only gpu? I'm nearing 100k hours on openpandemics (cpu) and i'd like to work on other cpu stuff while getting the gpu OPNG wus.

Administrator

the option is in your device settings, and remember you can have more than one profile so make sure they all have it, if you have more than one. this link should take you there if you're logged in.

https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/m...o?name=Default scroll to the GPU section.

question is can i set up an app_info for only gpu? I'm nearing 100k hours on openpandemics (cpu) and i'd like to work on other cpu stuff while getting the gpu OPNG wus.
    You don't need to, just scroll up to the Processor Usage section and say NO to "Allow research to run on my CPU?"

Diamond Member

So you want only the GPU tasks for OpenPandemics, yet still get CPU for all the rest of the projects. An obvious answer is to just run two instances of BOINC, one with a GPU-only profile and the other with the CPU-only profile (with OpenPandemics un-selected). But running more than one instance always seemed hard for me to wrap my head around. This was posted on their forum, which sounds like it should work (I have not tried it myself):

In website device profile,
    - Turn on "If there is no work available for the project(s) I have selected above, please send me work from another project."
    - Turn off OpenPandemics and turn on other projects.
    - Turn on some or all of: Use AMD / NVidia / intel graphics card.
    - Make sure project limits is very high or unlimited. (scroll down to the bottom)
    - If you want to, BOINC project preference, store 0.5 days or less.

CPU can always do the selected projects as long as selected projects have some CPU work available.

GPU will check if other projects have GPU work, nothing there, then with "please send me work from another project." on, can send GPU tasks from OpenPandemics. There appear to be very little amount of OpenPandemic GPU work so it may take a while to grab any GPU tasks.
    3rd option: Use a VM, and in the VM do all of your CPU crunching. Run the GPU tasks in the native instance of BOINC (which can run tasks on the GPU).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast