Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Dallas!

Re: Hello from Dallas!

Sphynx, I don't think there is anything wrong with cleaning your machines once a year! In fact a lot of my IT buddies swear by that. I think you're part of a bigger minority than you think at least from the people I know. Half of the IT guys I work with don't even like computers! Personally, I just like to tinker and mess with things. Not at work, just my own stuff at my house otherwise I wouldn't have a house. I haven't lost anything yet and I'm hoping the PSU isn't one of them. Did it take out anything else with it? I've only heard horror stories about people (here comes the stupidity part Shandia) building their first computer not realizing they got a PSU too small for the system to run on. (Definitely not me ) I honestly think your plan is a good one and maybe I should tone down and have a few beers myself

Platinum Member

Actually, rumour has it you can ask cineon_lut about undersizing power sources. I heard he's got a recent story to share about that.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFox1 View Post
    Sphynx, I don't think there is anything wrong with cleaning your machines once a year! In fact a lot of my IT buddies swear by that. I think you're part of a bigger minority than you think at least from the people I know. Half of the IT guys I work with don't even like computers! Personally, I just like to tinker and mess with things. Not at work, just my own stuff at my house otherwise I wouldn't have a house. I haven't lost anything yet and I'm hoping the PSU isn't one of them. Did it take out anything else with it? I've only heard horror stories about people (here comes the stupidity part Shandia) building their first computer not realizing they got a PSU too small for the system to run on. (Definitely not me ) I honestly think your plan is a good one and maybe I should tone down and have a few beers myself
    Nope, took out nothing else. Actually the PSU was still good. One of the fan blades fell off and got jammed. The PSU overheated and shut itself down. Could have been worse. It wasn't worth fixing and I got a replacement from DrPop that he wasn't using. All is good now.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sphynx View Post
    So you know how the other half lives, I clean my machines once a year. Usually during the FB downtime in December. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never lost anything but 1 PSU and it died quietly and it was a piece of crap I bought cheap and it still lasted 4 years. I pay little attention to temps except when I initially build a system. After it has proven worthy I don't really look at it until it starts erroring out wus. That goes for cpu and gpu. I'm of the group (probably a minority) that feels if it's working, don't muck around with it. Not everyone can do that, but I'm mostly lazy and don't want to create work for myself. Maybe that's puts me in the stupidity class, but it's served me well up till this point.

I will say, when I hear about all the work others are doing I feel sort of guilty and think "maybe I should do that" and then I think better of it and go have a beer.
    I will second that, course things do wear out so after years of 24-7 you are going to have to replace stuff. pass me a beer
    https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-1240.png[/url]

Shandia, I think I get it now. Are the challenges what determine the team rankings? Lol when is the pentathlon and where can I find more information about it?

Oh crap so crunching is way more taxing than prime on the CPU? I had no idea! Is Bitcoin Utopia only using GPUs? I didn't see that on the list of projects from the project manager. Sounds like a great place cool off I've heard of afterburner. It's a great overclocking tool. I have only overclocked through bios so I haven't tried this out yet. Thanks for the insight about monitoring your GPU with it

Cineon_lut huh? lol When I see him I will ask him about it

Quote Originally Posted by Sphynx View Post
    Nope, took out nothing else. Actually the PSU was still good. One of the fan blades fell off and got jammed. The PSU overheated and shut itself down. Could have been worse. It wasn't worth fixing and I got a replacement from DrPop that he wasn't using. All is good now.
    Wow sounds like you somehow got lucky then. I can't imagine a PSU fan falling off haha. You must have been pushing that thing for a while Well DrPop sounds like a pretty good guy then!

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFox1 View Post
    Shandia, I think I get it now. Are the challenges what determine the team rankings? Lol when is the pentathlon and where can I find more information about it?

Oh crap so crunching is way more taxing than prime on the CPU? I had no idea! Is Bitcoin Utopia only using GPUs? I didn't see that on the list of projects from the project manager. Sounds like a great place cool off I've heard of afterburner. It's a great overclocking tool. I have only overclocked through bios so I haven't tried this out yet. Thanks for the insight about monitoring your GPU with it
    Challenges are just little side competitions between teams. They don't determine overall team rankings, but are a lot of fun. The Pentathlon happens in May, so keep an eye out for that.

Bitcoin does work on the GPU, but it works best on the specialized hardware for bitcoin mining. Ask around here if you're interested in that.

Also, welcome! And glad to have you around the message boards!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Challenges are just little side competitions between teams. They don't determine overall team rankings, but are a lot of fun. The Pentathlon happens in May, so keep an eye out for that.

Bitcoin does work on the GPU, but it works best on the specialized hardware for bitcoin mining. Ask around here if you're interested in that.

Also, welcome! And glad to have you around the message boards!
    Thank you Maxwell! I'm pretty excited to be here. Everyone has been really helpful. I'll be ready in May

Oh I see. I don't know about specialized hardware. Sounds like it would be expensive and I'm just a poor IT guy Also I keep forgetting to ask, but what is the little alien looking people under everyone's name and title? I have two green ones and you have green and purple?

Silver Member

The Little Green Men, are part of the tracking of our posts on the forums, so the more you get the more you've posted... And replying to posts in a thread always counts as another good post!

If it's not broken, give me 5 more minutes!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast