PDA

View Full Version : Thought for the Day

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Duke of Buckingham
04-15-15, 10:13 AM
“You educate a man; you educate a man. You educate a woman; you educate a generation.”

― Brigham Young

“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something. That's the only thing that never fails. You may grow old and trembling in your anatomies, you may lie awake at night listening to the disorder of your veins, you may miss your only love, you may see the world about you devastated by evil lunatics, or know your honour trampled in the sewers of baser minds. There is only one thing for it then — to learn. Learn why the world wags and what wags it. That is the only thing which the mind can never exhaust, never alienate, never be tortured by, never fear or distrust, and never dream of regretting. Learning is the only thing for you. Look what a lot of things there are to learn.”

― T.H. White, The Once and Future King

“Children must be taught how to think, not what to think.”

― Margaret Mead

“It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.”

― Confucius

“Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all.”

― Aristotle

“Do not train a child to learn by force or harshness; but direct them to it by what amuses their minds, so that you may be better able to discover with accuracy the peculiar bent of the genius of each.”

― Plato

“Eragon looked back at him, confused. "I don't understand."
"Of course you don't," said Brom impatiently. "That's why I'm teaching you and not the other way around.”

― Christopher Paolini, Eragon

“The educated differ from the uneducated as much as the living differ from the dead.”

― Aristotle

“Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is.”

― Isaac Asimov

“I go to school, but I never learn what I want to know.”

― Bill Watterson, The Authoritative Calvin And Hobbes

All education should have a moral component, educate any person without looking to his moral and you may have someone very dangerous to society and to yourself.

― Someone Like Me

"“Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces."

Matthew 7:6 NIV

Duke of Buckingham
05-01-15, 03:22 AM
I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process.

Vincent Van Gogh

Today I begin to understand what love must be, if it exists... When we are parted, we each feel the lack of the other half of ourselves. We are incomplete like a book in two volumes of which the first has been lost. That is what I imagine love to be: incompleteness in absence.

Edmond de Goncourt

All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

J. R. R. Tolkien

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Carl Sagan

Duke of Buckingham
05-05-15, 09:21 PM
It's go, go, go. I'm a go-getter, but I need rest and silence, just to sit around and think about things.

Someone Like Me

I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong.

John Lennon

Each day is a little life: every waking and rising a little birth, every fresh morning a little youth, every going to rest and sleep a little death.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Someone has to die in order that the rest of us should value life more.

Virginia Woolf

Duke of Buckingham
05-09-15, 06:07 AM
Bulls need some fun also ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3bwVSbx9Bc

Duke of Buckingham
05-12-15, 02:32 AM
“Whatever you give a woman, she will make greater. If you give her sperm, she'll give you a baby.. If you give her a house, she'll give you a home. If you give her groceries, she'll give you a meal. If you give her a smile, she'll give you her heart. She multiplies and enlarges what is given to her. So, if you give her any crap, be ready to receive a ton of shit!”

― Erick S. Gray

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.”

― Philip K. Dick, I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon

“A man with outward courage dares to die; a man with inner courage dares to live.”

― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

― Erick S. Gray

“Everyone has the right to doubt everything as often as he pleases and the duty to do it at least once. No way of looking at things is too sacred to be reconsidered. No way of doing things is beyond improvement.”

― Edward de Bono, The Use of Lateral Thinking

Duke of Buckingham
05-15-15, 06:08 AM
And even that life give us reasons for bitterness and many others to become castles of ups and insurmountable walls, sometimes life makes us push the button and there are three identical symbols with the sound of coins falling, as in the films. The jackpot of this life are the people with whom we crossed and we recognize as our own.

It is this ability to meet ourselves, we lower the defenses and ask for lap. The greatest wealth of this life [in addition to the privilege of having health] is making friends. As a Portuguese song goes: If you care for me, I will care for you too.

Someone Like Me

Duke of Buckingham
05-17-15, 09:25 AM
“To dream anything that you want to dream. That's the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do. That is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself to test your limits. That is the courage to succeed.”

Bernard Edmonds

Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind.

Albert Einstein

Duke of Buckingham
05-20-15, 08:40 PM
Illusion is needed to disguise the emptiness within.

Arthur Erickson

One cannot long remain so absorbed in contemplation of emptiness without being increasingly attracted to it. In vain, one bestows on it the name of infinity; this does not change its nature.

Emile Durkheim

To fake it is to stand guard over emptiness.

Arthur Herzog

Duke of Buckingham
05-26-15, 10:01 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-sFA3FUiD06Q/UE_DBjlA_PI/AAAAAAAADzY/pLzTEKPmtIk/s1600/Black-sheep-of-the-family-15613816184.jpeg

Duke of Buckingham
05-30-15, 08:07 AM
“You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

Winston Churchill

Duke of Buckingham
06-01-15, 09:39 AM
Look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see, and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious.

Stephen Hawking

The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.

Aristotle

Duke of Buckingham
06-03-15, 06:55 AM
You don't choose your life; it chooses you. There's no point asking why life has reserved certain joys or griefs, you just accept them and carry on. We can't choose our lives, but we can decide what to do with the joys or griefs were given.

Duke of Buckingham
06-05-15, 08:22 AM
“The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes.”

Charles R. Swindoll

Mumps
06-05-15, 09:35 PM
I like that one Duke...

http://simplereminders.com/domains/simplereminders.com/uploads/images/blog/charles-swindoll-longer-i-live-attitude.jpg

Duke of Buckingham
06-06-15, 07:36 AM
Nice Mumps.

“Love is like pi - natural, irrational, and very important.”

Lisa Hoffman

Duke of Buckingham
06-20-15, 06:36 AM
The Greeks fight vigorously with European leaders in the meeting rooms and in the end all come out here to complain: 'Look at them, they will not lend us more money,' complains the Greek Minister of the motorcycle. 'We do not lend more money because they do not behave well,' defend the German, French, Spanish, Dutch, etc. 'But we promise that we will behave well', guarantee the Greeks. 'So cut in pensions ...', challenges the Dutch minister. 'No!', Insists Varoufakis. 'You see, that's why we do not lend money: who assures us that they will behave well?' Say the representatives of the European taxpayers.

Lagarde said that it takes an adult in the room to discuss with the Greeks. Well, I volunteer myself, I accept the challenge. If an adult is what everyone wants to end this discussion, I can be that adult: I have extensive experience I gained with my children for many years.

No maturity from all sides, both are like children discussing who started what, so our leaders are not so different from my children. I will send my older one to the next reunion, I bet she will behave better than them ...

Someone like me
Tired of the news about Greece.

cineon_lut
06-20-15, 12:55 PM
The Greeks fight vigorously with European leaders in the meeting rooms and in the end all come out here to complain: 'Look at them, they will not lend us more money,' complains the Greek Minister of the motorcycle. 'We do not lend more money because they do not behave well,' defend the German, French, Spanish, Dutch, etc. 'But we promise that we will behave well', guarantee the Greeks. 'So cut in pensions ...', challenges the Dutch minister. 'No!', Insists Varoufakis. 'You see, that's why we do not lend money: who assures us that they will behave well?' Say the representatives of the European taxpayers.

Lagarde said that it takes an adult in the room to discuss with the Greeks. Well, I volunteer myself, I accept the challenge. If an adult is what everyone wants to end this discussion, I can be that adult: I have extensive experience I gained with my children for many years.

No maturity from all sides, both are like children discussing who started what, so our leaders are not so different from my children. I will send my older one to the next reunion, I bet she will behave better than them ...

Someone like me
Tired of the news about Greece.

Many American cities are going to face this soon or are facing it. That's what happens when a government make promises it cannot keep.

Vic (mobile)

Duke of Buckingham
06-20-15, 03:11 PM
Many American cities are going to face this soon or are facing it. That's what happens when a government make promises it cannot keep.

Vic (mobile)

But it is very sad to see all European dreams dying in a swamp made of shit of all our leaders decisions.

Duke of Buckingham
06-21-15, 09:08 AM
Adults find pleasure in deceiving a child. They consider it necessary, but they also enjoy it. The children very quickly figure it out and then practice deception themselves.

Elias Canetti

Duke of Buckingham
06-24-15, 07:33 PM
It was a day without thoughts only hopes some sadness and a bit of joy as everyday.
It was only a regular day

Ricardo Ferreira

Duke of Buckingham
06-26-15, 06:30 AM
http://img.s-msn.com/tenant/amp/entityid/AAc8T7s.img?h=367&w=652&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f
The case happened a week ago in Brighton, Colorado (USA) following an accident with a family van. The two year old was handed over to police Nick Struck by a nurse and was crying, barefoot and covered in gasoline.

To calm her, Struck decided to do what he always does with his own daughter, also two years, when she feels frightened: He started singing the American version of the nursery rhyme "Twinkle, twinkle in the sky." The moment was captured by a woman passing and shows the police pointing in the opposite direction of the accident to try to catch the girl's attention away from the tragedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCjJyiqpAuU

Duke of Buckingham
06-27-15, 08:41 PM
The happiness of most people is not ruined by great catastrophes or fatal errors, but by the repetition of slowly destructive little things.

Ernest Dimnet

I am someone who always gets up again, even if there are setbacks. I have a survivor instinct. I'm not sure where it comes from, but probably from all the little things that make you into who you are.

Heidi Klum

When someone that is important to you dies in your arms - just you and him/her, and you're waiting for him/her to exhale - you just think, life's too bloody short to argue about the little things.

Someone Like Me

Duke of Buckingham
06-28-15, 07:30 AM
... So after my father died, I was waiting to see what the seer said would happen. A great and hilarious secret would be revealed.

To be honest, really did not believe it. But hoped. I wanted to find out what was really going on in that big bald head. It was my last chance, really.

But as you may have suspected, I did not discover anything. Nothing interesting or private was revealed. And yet it was not. And I think that will ever be. So I will never give that laugh that the seer said I would.

And never really even know my father, it is determined. It's a strange and sad thing to lose someone you've never really knew.

On the other hand, it gave me so many things I remember, good things he did, like buying me mini pies of chocolate pudding, and strange things like aluminum foil on the top of bottle of beer and the idea that, no matter how trivial they may be, all the stories are based on a story by Sartre. Probably even this is.

Excerpt from a Bruce Eric Kaplan history.

A Duke's English translation from http://www.msn.com/pt-pt/noticias/sociedade/com-saudades-de-um-pai-que-mal-conheci/ar-AAceyBC?ocid=mailsignoutmd

Duke of Buckingham
06-30-15, 08:45 AM
http://img.s-msn.com/tenant/amp/entityid/AAckNTY.img?h=768&w=1366&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f
Portugal
https://terry1954.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/beating-heart.gif

Duke of Buckingham
07-05-15, 08:57 AM
“Anybody can look at a pretty girl and see a pretty girl. An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty girl that she used to be. But a great artist-a master-and that is what Auguste Rodin was-can look at an old woman, protray her exactly as she is...and force the viewer to see the pretty girl she used to be...and more than that, he can make anyone with the sensitivity of an armadillo, or even you, see that this lovely young girl is still alive, not old and ugly at all, but simply prisoned inside her ruined body. He can make you feel the quiet, endless tragedy that there was never a girl born who ever grew older than eighteen in her heart...no matter what the merciless hours have done to her. Look at her, Ben. Growing old doesn't matter to you and me; we were never meant to be admired-but it does to them.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Duke of Buckingham
07-08-15, 09:02 AM
The world's problem is not too many people, but lack of political and economic freedom.

Julian Lincoln Simon

Duke of Buckingham
07-10-15, 03:30 AM
Kill or die. It is cruel but it happened. This was the option given to a boy who was approached on the street by a group of criminals.

Angel Ariel Perez, only 12 years, had just left school and went home when he was approached by a gang in the city of Guatemala.

The young man refused the first hypothesis and ended up paying with his life.

According to the "Mirror", the group handed him a gun and said that Angel would kill a bus driver or died there.

He refused and, weeping, said she would rather die. Angel, who had a dream to one day be an architect, was thrown from a bridge.

According to the same publication, although the fall he survived and was found 72 hours later.

There are some crimes that dead penalty seems to be to soft.

Duke of Buckingham
07-12-15, 07:02 AM
We are beginning a new era in our government. I cannot too strongly urge the necessity of a rigid economy and an inflexible determination not to enlarge the income beyond the real necessities of the government.

Andrew Jackson

Charisma becomes the undoing of leaders. It makes them inflexible, convinced of their own infallibility, unable to change.

Peter Drucker

Dialectics gives expression to a law which is felt in all grades of consciousness and in general experience. Everything that surrounds us may be viewed as an instance of dialectic. We are aware that everything finite, instead of being inflexible, is rather changeable and transient; and this is exactly what we mean by the dialectic of the finite, by which the finite, as implicitly other than it is, is forced to surrender its own immediate or natural being, and turn suddenly into its opposite.

Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

But an officer on duty knows no one -- to be partial is to dishonor both himself and the object of his illadvised favor. What will be thought of him who exacts of his friends that which disgraces him? Look at him who winks at and overlooks offences in one, which he causes to be punished in another, and contrast him with the inflexible soldier who does his duty faithfully, notwithstanding it occasionally wars with his private feelings. The conduct of one will be venerated and emulated, the other detested as a satire upon soldiership and honor.

WIlliam Jenkins Worth

Terror is only justice: prompt, severe and inflexible; it is then an emanation of virtue; it is less a distinct principle than a natural consequence of the general principle of democracy, applied to the most pressing wants of the country.

Maximilien Robespierre

Duke of Buckingham
07-15-15, 03:15 AM
Sarah Robinson, a mother of six girls aged between 2 and 15 years. Since her husband died in 2012, Sarah and their daughters have gone difficulties: they live in the car, no money to buy clothes or shoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adokCaJOuVg
Despite his good heart, the agent was forced to pass Sarah a fine in the amount of $ 300. The mother will be judged by robbery, but Mark believes the trial ends only with the payment of the fine.
Following the release of this story was created an account on behalf of the mother which are already contained $ 6,000, which will be delivered so you can take care of the children.

Duke of Buckingham
07-19-15, 07:27 PM
No one in here to write a thought.
http://www.goodlightscraps.com/content/funny-animation/funny-animation-7.gif

Duke of Buckingham
07-22-15, 04:17 PM
“Tears are words that need to be written.”

― Paulo Coelho

Duke of Buckingham
07-24-15, 06:36 AM
Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.

Viktor E. Frankl

Duke of Buckingham
07-26-15, 09:41 AM
“In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.”

Buddha

Duke of Buckingham
07-28-15, 07:07 AM
“There are three types of lies -- lies, damn lies, and statistics.”

― Benjamin Disraeli

“People think that a liar gains a victory over his victim. What I’ve learned is that a lie is an act of self-abdication, because one surrenders one’s reality to the person to whom one lies, making that person one’s master, condemning oneself from then on to faking the sort of reality that person’s view requires to be faked…The man who lies to the world, is the world’s slave from then on…There are no white lies, there is only the blackest of destruction, and a white lie is the blackest of all.”

― Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

“Actually," said Jace, "I prefer to think that I'm a liar in a way that's uniquely my own.”

― Cassandra Clare, City of Ashes

“I lie to myself all the time. But I never believe me.”

― S.E. Hinton, The Outsiders

Duke of Buckingham
08-18-15, 08:16 PM
“Conflict is inevitable, but combat is optional.”

Max Lucade

Duke of Buckingham
12-31-15, 11:48 AM
http://www.ahdwallpaperstab.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Download-Best_happy-new-year-quotes-for-friends.jpg

Duke of Buckingham
01-28-16, 05:46 AM
Justice consists in doing no injury to men; decency in giving them no offense.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Duke of Buckingham
04-04-16, 04:04 AM
http://cdn.quotesgram.com/img/68/66/1236491954-Warren-Buffett-Team-Building-Quotes.jpg

Duke of Buckingham
07-13-16, 09:46 PM
I never knew who had taken a beating.
All my acquaintances have been champions at all.
Who is there in this wide world that confess that once was vile?
I'm sick of demigods!
Where is there people in the world?
So just me that is vile and wrong on this earth?
I wish I hear from some human voice
Who confess not a sin, but an infamy;

Duke of Buckingham
07-23-16, 10:21 AM
Extrapolating the philosophical universe for the day to day, you do not feel nostalgia for one innocence? Or can, despite all the knowledge, be amazed with the things?

I do not know if surprise me with things, but I am never tired of that, though, it is the beauty of life and the world. Somehow, I'm always a little amazed.

I insist on the innocence-sophy dichotomy. In a particular instance, the sophy word, which commonly translates into wisdom, assumed the semantic content of sense. As the status of wisdom were equivalent to the wisdom. I do not know if it assumes a thinking divorced from the wonderful thing to: "eat chocolates with truth and take the silver paper, which is tin foil, lay everything to the ground, as I lay life.".

Difficult is to translate philosophy

Duke of Buckingham

Duke of Buckingham
07-26-16, 03:23 AM
One to Myshortpencil
http://christianbarbosa.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/persist-poster.jpg

Duke of Buckingham
07-28-16, 12:31 PM
Mankind as no money to extract water in arid areas
but there is money to search for water in Mars ...
... the question is: is there intelligent life on Earth?

Duke of Buckingham
03-15-17, 09:33 PM
https://www.brainyquote.com/photos/a/alexanderthegreat148611.jpg

Duke of Buckingham
03-21-17, 02:00 AM
“One day, the old wise Socrates walks down the streets, when all of the sudden a man runs up to him "Socrates I have to tell you something about your friend who..."
"Hold up" Socrates interrupts him "About the story you're about to tell me, did you put it trough the three sieves?"
"Three sieves?" The man asks "What three sieves?"
"Let's try it" Socrates says.
"The first sieve is the one of truth, did you examine what you were about to tell me if it is true?" Socrates asks.
"Well no, I just overheard it" The man says.
"Ah, well then you have used the second sieve, the sieve of good?" Socrates asks "Is it something good what you're about to tell me?"
"Ehm no, on the contrary" the man answers.
"Hmmm" The wise man says "Let's use the third sieve then, is it necessary to tell me what you're so exited about?"
"No not necessary" the man says.
"Well" Socrates says with a smile "If the story you're about to tell me isn't true, good or necessary, just forget it and don't bother me with it.”

― Socrates

denim
04-20-17, 02:57 PM
Due to some IT policy changes at my office, i just lost my main crunched and my primary cruncher (8 core and nice GPU) so my output will drop a great deal. Will mostly be down to a old quad core laptop (GPU melted from BOINC) and 2 quad core phones.

Duke of Buckingham
11-30-17, 06:24 PM
http://static-yourtango-com.imgix.net/cdn/farfuture/i0_yPgEFcOjYdZBM1Hc66o1xJM_CE6ukAyGQJEmD8Og/mtime:1473345162/sites/default/files/36friendshipquotes.jpg?fit=max&ixlib=php-1.1.0&w=610&auto=compress
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/70/e6/e2/70e6e2eb49266ffd311a77be37f1a37a--girlfriend-quotes-bff-quotes.jpg

Duke of Buckingham
01-25-18, 08:56 AM
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

Some say it is a quote of Marcus Aurelius, some say it is not
but it is a nice quote...

Duke of Buckingham
11-23-18, 07:20 PM
Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Satchel Paige

Do not go gentle into that good night but rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Dylan Thomas

Duke of Buckingham
11-24-18, 07:06 PM
There are days that mark the soul and people's lives for good (or bad) reasons.

artemis8
01-12-19, 10:25 PM
You still around Duke?