Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 128

Thread: Sargies Tower upgrade

  1. #11
    Silver Member
    Sarge104's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2010
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    791

    Re: Sargies Tower upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Sarge,

    Have you actually placed your order yet?

    Although it would a sizable increase in outlay of cash, the following would have better long term value.

    Instead of the air cooled Titan go with EVGA's Hydro Cooper Titan (Link)

    And add the Swiftech H220 cooler I mentioned before. That combination would help extend the life of the CPU and GPU. And the H220 is much less expensive then piecing together a liquid cooling solution from any of the manufacturers out there including Swiftech.
    We were of the same mind, I'm looking into getting both but the issue is becoming availability and shipping. Right now I'm having trouble even getting access to that Swiftech cooler but I've not given up hope and I'm dealing with my local computer supply for info if they can get me that evga titan card.

    From what I'm reading with the Titan though the watercooling will be marginal help with overclocking since it is primarly a voltage issue with trying to supply that beast with enough juice.
    It's not the love of a hero, that's why I fear it won't do
    Chad Kroeger

  2. #12
    Past Administrator
    Fire$torm's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2010
    Location
    In the Big City
    Posts
    7,937

    Re: Sargies Tower upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge104 View Post
    We were of the same mind, I'm looking into getting both but the issue is becoming availability and shipping. Right now I'm having trouble even getting access to that Swiftech cooler but I've not given up hope and I'm dealing with my local computer supply for info if they can get me that evga titan card.

    From what I'm reading with the Titan though the watercooling will be marginal help with overclocking since it is primarly a voltage issue with trying to supply that beast with enough juice.
    Roger that Sarge.

    Btw, I can make you a similar offer I've made to other teammates (As in ZERO middleman charges!!!). The MicroCenter store near me has the Swiftech H220 in stock atm. If your connection cannot acquire it, I'd be happy to pick one up for you. MC's price is $139.99 + 6% Sale tax. Shipping weight is under 6 lbs so USPS fees including insurance from my house to Billings MT (Just picked largest city) would be $19.98. If this is a reasonable solution for you then PM me at your earliest convenience. Just realize there is no guarantee the unit will stay in stock for any length of time.

    I did check my MC store for the Hydro Copper Titan but no go. I did discover however that EVGA does sell the Titan waterblock separately and is in stock on their website for $149.99 $169.99 + shipping. I also found a review of some of the aftermarket waterblocks for any EVGA Titan (I presume the aircooled & Hydro Copper versions use the same circuit board layout). The review is a work in progress. Summarized blog (Here) - Full review (Here)
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 06-24-13 at 07:50 PM.


    Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

  3. #13
    Silver Member
    Sarge104's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2010
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    791

    Re: Sargies Tower upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Roger that Sarge.

    Btw, I can make you a similar offer I've made to other teammates (As in ZERO middleman charges!!!). The MicroCenter store near me has the Swiftech H220 in stock atm. If your connection cannot acquire it, I'd be happy to pick one up for you. MC's price is $139.99 + 6% Sale tax. Shipping weight is under 6 lbs so USPS fees including insurance from my house to Billings MT (Just picked largest city) would be $19.98. If this is a reasonable solution for you then PM me at your earliest convenience. Just realize there is no guarantee the unit will stay in stock for any length of time.

    I did check my MC store for the Hydro Copper Titan but no go. I did discover however that EVGA does sell the Titan waterblock separately and is in stock on their website for $149.99 $169.99 + shipping. I also found a review of some of the aftermarket waterblocks for any EVGA Titan (I presume the aircooled & Hydro Copper versions use the same circuit board layout). The review is a work in progress. Summarized blog (Here) - Full review (Here)

    Just got off the phone with the LCS and I'm almost to the order point with everything. Currently sitting pretty with motherboard, chip, water cooler (they did have the H220 , making sure the ram and card are available now. I'm going to have to stay with the fan cooled card for a bit but I believe with my case cooling it should be sufficient till the cards warranty runs out and I can break it open and put a water casing on it....So close, getting the gitters!
    It's not the love of a hero, that's why I fear it won't do
    Chad Kroeger

  4. #14
    Past Administrator
    Fire$torm's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2010
    Location
    In the Big City
    Posts
    7,937

    Re: Sargies Tower upgrade

    Great. Glad it's all working out well enough. Enjoy the new hardware!


    Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

  5. #15
    Platinum Member
    John P. Myers's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2011
    Location
    Jackson, TN
    Posts
    4,425

    Re: Sargies Tower upgrade

    When i bought my 2 EVGA GTX 590 Hydro Coppers a couple years ago, i bought them directly from EVGA's site. There were no shipping charges or sales tax added onto their displayed price for me. Playing the game where you wake up every morning at 8AM CST to check if they finally have them in stock and are no longer on "Auto-Notify" becomes fun. And i can't even begin to describe the rush you get when filling in your billing/shipping info knowing that if you're not faster than someone else, it'll be sold out again before you finish typing Good times.

    Anyway, it can be a hassle, but it saved me over $200 in the end.


  6. #16
    Platinum Member
    John P. Myers's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2011
    Location
    Jackson, TN
    Posts
    4,425

    Re: Sargies Tower upgrade

    This Crucial CL8 RAM i linked to previously is now on sale http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20148655-L020A $70 normally. With Promo Code EMCXPVR73 it's only $48. And it's only 1.35v.


  7. #17
    Past Administrator
    Fire$torm's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2010
    Location
    In the Big City
    Posts
    7,937

    Re: Sargies Tower upgrade

    Yo JPM,

    IIRC when I got my refurb. X58 FTW3 from their site, they did charge for shipping. But maybe that's just for refurbished items.


    Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

  8. #18
    Silver Member
    Sarge104's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2010
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    791

    Re: Sargies Tower upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    This Crucial CL8 RAM i linked to previously is now on sale http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20148655-L020A $70 normally. With Promo Code EMCXPVR73 it's only $48. And it's only 1.35v.
    Here was the question that I posed to my LCS, with the voltage being 1.35 vrs 1.5 will there be any impact on communication between the ram and the cpu? I know with the lower voltage that will help with heat and allow something else to use the power but I'm just leery on going with ram with a lower voltage.
    It's not the love of a hero, that's why I fear it won't do
    Chad Kroeger

  9. #19
    Past Administrator
    Fire$torm's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2010
    Location
    In the Big City
    Posts
    7,937

    Re: Sargies Tower upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge104 View Post
    Here was the question that I posed to my LCS, with the voltage being 1.35 vrs 1.5 will there be any impact on communication between the ram and the cpu? I know with the lower voltage that will help with heat and allow something else to use the power but I'm just leery on going with ram with a lower voltage.
    Nope, no issues at all. Mem controller is designed to handle a narrow range of voltages in accordance with DDR3 standards which RAM makers must abide by. So your all good there Sarge.


    Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

  10. #20
    Silver Member
    Sarge104's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2010
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    791

    Re: Sargies Tower upgrade

    Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model BLT8G3D1608ET3LX0

    2 Sticks on the way! Thanks for the info JPM!

    Getting the rest of the stuff settled before I order the rest but it should be within next week
    It's not the love of a hero, that's why I fear it won't do
    Chad Kroeger

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •